January 1, 2016 the experience requirements for LCSWs changed. The TrackYourHours software allows you to view an analysis of your hours under both the old and new requirements. When you login to your account you will see the "Dashboard 2016 Forward" tab. This summary analyzes your hours under the new requirements. Clicking the "Dashboard Old Requirements" tab shows an analysis of your hours under the old requirements. The message "Hi *|FNAME|*. You've completed X of 3,200 hours" displayed top-right of the page displays your valid hours under the NEW requirements.
Summary of the Changes in TrackYourHours (Dashboard 2016 Forward)
- Individual and group supervision hours are now counted in your total hours toward the 3,200 hour requirement (in order to claim pre-2016 supervision hours you must reprint your old forms and get them re-signed; learn more). In addition, these hours are included in the daily and weekly totals on your calendar view.
- The alert for exceeding the 40 hour max in a week now automatically subtracts hours you cannot claim from your valid total. This is important because now that supervision hours can be claimed, it is possible that you will have prior weeks where you now exceed the 40 hour max (adding your supervision hours to your experience hours will put you over 40). If this occurs you will receive an alert and the hours above 40 will automatically be subtracted from your valid total so you will know how many hours you can claim without having to go back and delete hours.
- There is a new category where you can log hours for workshops, seminars, training sessions or conferences. These hours are reported under the CCA category on your weekly summary and experience verification forms.
- The weekly maximum for supervision hours has increased from 5 to 6. Logging more than 6 supervision hours in a week will trigger an alert.
Why are my Total Hours higher under new requirements versus the old requirements?
The new requirements allow you to claim supervision hours toward the 3,200 hour requirement. In some situations this will result in an increase in the number of total hours you can claim under the new requirements.
Why didn't my valid (claimable) hours increase under the new requirements?
If you have already maxed out the category of Client Centered Advocacy, Consultation, Evaluation, and Research, the ability to claim supervision hours will NOT increase your claimable hours (valid total in TYH) because the category maximum remains at 1,200 and supervision hours are now counted toward the combined category max. You will see an alert on the Alerts tab if the new "Other Hours" category is maxed out.
For hours logged prior to January 1, 2016 you may have weeks where you already logged 40 hours of experience without including your supervision hours. If this is the case, the supervision hours cannot be added to your valid total because you cannot exceed 40 claimable in a week. TrackYourHours automatically subtracts these hours from your valid total so you know exactly how many hours you can claim. You will see an alert on the Alerts tab if you the addition of supervision hours pushes you above 40 hours in one or more weeks prior to January 1, 2016.
Summary of the Changes to the LCSW Experience Requirements
- Permits hours of direct supervisor contact (individual and group supervision) to count toward the 3,200 hour requirement.
- Permits workshops, seminars, training sessions or conferences directly related to clinical social work to count toward the 3,200 hour requirement. Consistent with the MFT and LPCC regulations, workshops, seminars, training sessions and conferences need to be approved by a supervisor but supervision is not required in a given week to claim the hours.
- The categories of Client Centered Advocacy, Consultation, Evaluation, and Research, the new category of workshops, seminars, training sessions or conferences and individual and supervision hours have a combined maximum of 1,200 hours.
- Increases the hours of supervision, whether individual or group, which can be credited during a single week from five to six. This would only apply to supervision hours gained on or after January 1, 2010.